Hay-on-Wye - A book lovers hell.

 

Hay-on-Wye - A books lovers hell (in the nicest possible way)

Where to start. 

I had an opportunity to visit Hay-on-Wye, the home of books.  For those that do not know Hay, it is a small town in Wales but right on the border with England.   In the 1960s it established itself as the UKs book capital and holds a famous annual book festival.   The town has over 20 book shops and various other places you can buy books.  You can literally buy books on any and every subject there is.

That’s where the problem starts.

As an avid reader, and yes, I read books on a wide range of subjects apart from military history, this trip was going to be a treat, a proper day of browsing, thinking, and wandering.  The mistake I made was not sticking to the plan I set for myself.


I knew I was in trouble immediately I stepped into the first shop.  I counted 17 shelves of books on 2 World War and add the 15 shelves on 1 World War and you can see where I’m going.  Right, discipline, you know what you’re looking for concentrate.  Fat chance, my eye and mind wandered immediately. Within 10 mins I had an arm full of books and I had lost my plan. I had to have a proper word with myself, do not peak too early lots of book shops to go at.  At this point I was feeling overwhelmed.  Bought 1 book and left.

4 hours later, A tea break and repeat in every shop.  

The staff in each shop were lovely, friendly, nice people.  Knowledgeable and obviously into books.  I asked a couple of questions regarding authors, and they went out of their way to help.

It was a very interesting day and after many mental battles I came away with a nice haul of books.  Some from my list, some from authors I respect and some just because I liked the look of them.  I managed to restrain myself to some extent and picked up 12 books, which was a result after the first meltdown of not knowing what to buy.

For those that have not been, and even if you are not a lover of books, Hay-on-Wye is very lovely little town.  Lots of quirky shops, interesting history, A castle no less, although closed on the day I went.  There are great cafés and restaurants and a lovely walk by the River Wye.   I was lucky it was a quiet day but I can imagine it could be hectic on a normal day.

What lessons did I learn:

1.    Have a plan, it really will help.

2.    Know what books/authors you’re looking for.

3.    Think about the price.  Some books are first editions, some are signed and that affects the price massively. Some of the books were more expensive for no apparent reason.

4.    Remember you have to carry your hoard back up a steep hill to your car.

5.    And most of all enjoy the experience, it is all worthwhile.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reconstructing and Recording Combat Experiences in First World War and World War 2

Needing to understand why I study conflict and war